Throwback: My First High End Makeup Order

Recently on Youtube the “First Sephora Order” video has been going around, started by the wonderful Taylor from thataylaa, and I decided to bring it over to the blog. It will be slightly different, as Sephora didn’t exist in Australia when I first started buying high end & will instead focus on my first Mecca order & it was a big one. 

I actually remember this order, from August 2015, like it was only yesterday. I had just received my tax return & decided to do a big order to buy some products that had been on my wishlist forever.



Too Faced Chocolate Bar Palette
I feel like this & the Semi-Sweet Chocolate Bar were the neutral palettes of 2015, even though the Urban Decay Naked Palettes were also still very popular. I remember choosing this as it seemed like the most well-rounded, kind of everyday palette at the time. A lot of shades haven’t even ever really been used but I absolutely adored the shades Salted Caramel & Marzipan for an everyday look with little fuss. I even used Champagne Truffle as a highlight for a few months, as I didn’t own my first highlight until October that year. It’s definitely something I still reach for, but isn’t my favourite anymore. I need to experiment with the colours that have hardly been used because I feel half the palette has been wasted at this time.

Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer
This was my favourite primer for ages, until I stopped using it because I was afraid of running out. I’ve definitely changed to just using products I love to get my moneys worth nowadays. I only have a little bit of this left, yes it is the original bottle but it seems the same, which I plan to use up. I’m interested to see if I still love this as much as I used to, as my skin has changed from when I got this.

Nars Radiant Creamy Concealer in Chantilly
I still love this product, and it is basically my go-to as it always seems to sit nicely on my skin, and works on both under-eyes & blemishes. I also love that Chantilly basically matches my skin tone, even though originally I purchased it for a brightening shade. This isn’t the same tube, which is long gone, and this one is almost empty too. I think this will probably be a product I have in my collection forever. 

Nars Audacious Lipstick in Annabella
I think this is well known as my signature lip colour, and basically the red I pick over my other reds unless I have a certain look in mind. The formula is creamy & not drying but not too creamy & it definitely hangs around for a while on the lips. The formula on this also hasn’t changed, so I’m going to keep using it until I use it up or it goes bad. Even though the Audacious lipsticks are expensive, which is why I only own this one colour, I have to say that I would totally recommend them if you want to splurge & I would happily add more colours to my collection.



Hourglass Ambient Lighting Blush in Luminous Flush
The product, along with the Veil primer, that made me fall head over heals in love with Hourglass. I actually hardly wore any other blushes until recently, and I still grab for this if I’m doing a minimal routine as I find highlight isn’t necessary with the luminosity of this blush. I didn’t realise how much of this I had used until I purchased new Hourglass products & realised how flat this one was. I don’t know if using up a blush is really possible, but if I did it would be this one.

Urban Decay Optical Blurring Brush
While I am a Beauty Blender (and general sponge) convert in the past year, I do still love this foundation brush for when I don’t feel like using a sponge. I actually haven’t tried many other foundation brushes, other than those flat paddle ones everyone used to use, because I just never felt like it was necessary as I loved this one so much. I think Urban Decay has redone their brush collection since but I assume there is a similar one in the new collection.

So there was my first ever (super spendy) Mecca order, I feel like I absolutely loved everything then & most of it I still like today. I feel as if I haven’t actually purchased many products I haven’t liked as even before I was blogging I would scour the Internet for hours looking at reviews & swatches. Does anyone else find that their preferences haven’t really changed since they first started buying makeup? I feel like so many people no longer love their earlier purchases but I must be a creature of habit.
-Bec

Comments

Popular Posts